By the Numbers
- Build has graduated over 1,700 aspiring entrepreneurs.
- Build graduates come from over 100 zipcodes in metro Detroit.
- Build participants are 45% African American, 42% Caucasian, 5% Hispanic, and 5% other ethnic backgrounds.
- 83% of Build students are female.
- 73% of graduates are low to moderate income, according to the U.S. Department of Housing and Labor.
- 90% of Build graduates feel more confident in business knowledge.
Entrepreneurial Program Development
- At least three Build grads have been in the Top 10 Finalists every year in the Hatch Detroit competition and at least one Build grad in the Top 4 every year with Build grad Sister Pie winning $50,000 towards her business in the 2014 contest.
- Build had eight graduates in the 2015 NEIdeas $10K competition and Build grad Sweet Potato Sensations won in 2014.
- Build classes are offered in locations all over the city. Classes have been held in downtown Detroit, Livernois, Hamtramck, Southwest, and Grandmont Rosedale.
- Build graduates are regularly chosen for the Motor City Match in neighborhoods like Livernois, West Village, and Grandmont Rosedale, including Detroit Vegan Soul and Good Cakes and Bakes.
Connections + Resources
- 77% of Build graduates were connected to resource they were not aware of.
- Over half of Build Alumni collaborate with one another on their projects and businesses.
- Build was voted the second most used entrepreneurial resource and the most helpful resource, according to the 2013 Southeast Michigan Start-Up Survey.
Small Business Funding
- Since December 2013, Build has endorsed 24 small businesses and raised $136,450 in micro-loans with a 98% repayment rate through the Kiva funding platform.
We’ve Turned Five!
See more of Build’s Impact in the alumni survey and zip code map below.