Our next Youth SOUP will be March 30, 2019
Durfee Innovation Society (2470 Collingwood Street)
Doors and Youth Build Bazaar at 1 PM
Presentations start at 2. Dinner around 3. Winner announced by 4.
$5 for SOUP, salad, bread and a vote!
SOUP is a potluck! Feel free to bring a dish to share – If you do, please email us at email@example.com so we know what to expect.
- a collaborative situation
- a public dinner
- a platform for connection
- a safe space
- a democratic experiment in micro-funding
- a relational hub bringing together various creative communities
- a forum for critical but accessible discussion
- an opportunity to support creative people in Detroit
Detroit SOUP is a micro-granting dinner celebrating and supporting creative projects in Detroit. For a donation $5 attendees receive soup, salad, bread and a vote and hear from four presentations ranging from art, urban agriculture, social justice, social entrepreneurs, education, technology and more. Each presenter has four minutes to share their idea and answer four questions from the audience. At the event, attendees eat, talk, share resources, enjoy art and vote on the project they think benefits the city the most. At the end of the night, we count the ballots and the winner goes home with all of the money raised to carry out their project. Winners come back to a future SOUP dinner to report their project’s progress.
Detroit SOUP’s mission is to promote community-based development through crowdfunding, creativity, collaboration, democracy, trust and fun.
We value community, creativity, collaboration, change, democracy, trust and fun.
Our Vision for the Future of SOUP:
With key partnerships and community leaders, we hope Detroit SOUP will change the way people engage with the democratic process by establishing neighborhood relational hubs across the city.
What We Want to Do:
- Empower residents
- Help create jobs
- Allow people to establish new relationships and networks
- Promote action and change
- Foster critical dialogue
- Instill neighborhood pride
- Provide a deeper understanding of democracy